Training and Credentials

Dance/movement therapy, one of the creative art therapies, is a Master’s degree profession that integrates knowledge of the body, movement and expressive spirit with the healing skills of psychotherapy.

To become a registered dance/movement therapist you can take one of two routes: graduate from an ADTA Approved Dance/Movement Therapy Program or, with a related Masters degree, take classes via the Alternate Route program. Alternate Route coursework DOES NOT necessarily meet the requirements for licensure in NY State. For more information go to www.op.nysed.gov/opsearches.htm, call their office, and also speak to the directors at Alternate Route training programs.


Approved degree programs in NY State:

Pratt Institute


Contact: Director of the Dance/Movement Therapy Program, Joan Wittig, jwittig@pratt.edu


Sarah Lawrence College


Contact: Interim Director, Elise Risher erisher@sarahlawrence.edu

Coordinator, Jennifer Lemiech-Iervolino, jlemiech@sarahlawrence.edu


For other approved DMT programs around the country click here


If you are interested in learning more about Alternate Route options in New York, here are some local programs:

Harkness Dance Center – 92 Y School of the Arts, NY, NY.


Contact: Tina Erfer, Program Coordinator  TEdance@live.com, or Miriam Berger, Director mb33@nyu.edu


The New School, NY, NY


Contact: Nancy Koprak, nancycrystals@gmail.com


Kinections, Rochester, NY


Contact : Danielle Fraenkel, Director, daniellefraenkel@kinections.com


Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY

Contact: Director of the Dance/Movement Therapy Program, Joan Wittig, jwittig@pratt.edu



R-DMT (Registered Dance/Movement Therapist)

A registered dance/movement therapist is an individual who is prepared to practice dance/movement therapy in a clinical, educational, or rehabilitative setting.

BC-DMT (Board Certified Dance/Movement Therapist)

In this level of training, the individual has the education and experience to practice privately, to teach dance/movement therapy, and to supervise students/interns.

LCAT (Licensed Creative Art Therapist)

Since 2006, eligible creative arts therapists in New York State may apply for licensure to the State of New York under the Education Law, Article 163. This Law took effect on January 1, 2006 and ensures the public that only an individual licensed or exempt under this article is eligible to practice creative arts therapy or use the title “creative arts therapist”. For more information about licensure, please visit the New York State Office of Professions at http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/mhp/catbroch.htm or visit our Licensure page.